Saturday 25 March 2017

The Bishop! (part two)


Today's update features some almost-but-not-quite-finished models. I'll be varnishing them tomorrow, but I thought some work in progress stuff was overdue.

Ok Devious, don't move!

As the title and first picture show, I've been cracking on with the gripping beast civilians, finishing up with Bishop and Attendant, an opportunity to display the Church's wealth in bright, strong colours and metal tones. It's nice to get some use of that purple I bought once in a while (although as I am red-green colorblind it would be helpful if readers could confirm that it is indeed purple). I'm quite pleased with the attendant, who has a rather natty red tunic under a plainer travel cloak.



My current photography setup is pretty rubbish
I've also made progress on the Ral Partha figures, which I think I bought last year. The female paladins (I've decided that it's the same character on foot and ahorse) have really taken well to paint, and the colour scheme (white, green and purple) looks nice too. I am, however, a little concerned that painting them in suffragette colours and giving them the device of an ankh (which looks rather similar to another symbol) may have over-emphasized the point that they are WOMEN PALADINS, as opposed to over-zealous paladins, fallen paladins, or paladins with any sort of personality other than their gender. I suppose I'll have to induct a few men into the order to make up for this.


2nd view of 'Dark Hero' because I'm so very happy with the job I did. Next to him is a northern barbarian type

My favourite recent paintjob has been the Ral Partha 'Dark Hero', which seems to have touched a memory of my youth with his ornate but not excessive arms and armour. This chap is exactly the sort of thing that drew me to Chaos Warriors, with heavy armour (complete with straps to hold it on) and larger-than-life sword. I enjoyed painting him so much that he features twice in the photos to get a front and back view. I have grabbed the 'dark' part with some gusto, giving his face an unhealthy, morally ambiguous pallor, and I intend to dig out my Chaos skull shield transfers for him. Hans, are we the baddies?


Finally finished a beastman. Oh, and more peasants.

What with the animals, bishop and shepherds (see sheepskin cloaks above) I've actually had to learn how to paint new things, which is never present. I have adopted a method similar to Terry Pratchett's "Dwarf Bread" to motivate me. You see, dwarf bread is a food so disgusting that one possessing it will never go hungry, as eating anything is preferable to eating the bread. My method is therefore to leave the beastmen, with their details and fur and impossible loincloths, next to me, compared to which even horses seem preferable.


I've decided to up my game with leather, and paint a wider range of colours with more mid-tones rather than just drybrushing medium brown over dark brown.

Not featured in this update are the trolls (which I believe I started in 2015) as the photo was rubbish, but they will be posted when I've matt varnish sprayed and added some gloss to the shiny stones.



No comments:

Post a Comment