Thursday 22 March 2018

Almost, But Not Quite



Today's theme is that I have a lot of models that are almost finished, but there remain important details which should not be left undone. Such as the basing.
 
Perry-sculpted GW Lord of the Rings elves, featuring conversion wielding a spear. I've just realised that I forgot to do the mail on the armpits in a steel-tone (hence the title).




I suppose some explanation of my not completing things is in order. You see, when I went to the temple of Apollo the other day to sacrifice an avocado, the priest took one look at the spleen, sucked his teeth and warned me against any basing endeavors over the next few months, so I'll be concentrating on my brushwork for the time being.

Really not happy with the checkered  patterns on these, so I'll re-do them.

Hoplites have been coming along, although I've decided that some of the checking has not been up to scratch (especially on the front-rank ones) so will need redoing. I seem to have lost my painting edge lately. Perhaps it's a seasonal thing.

The hoplites from the 'red team'.

The painting plan for the hoplites seems to be going rather well. The next lot will be painted with green. I've never had much luck with Vallejo greens, all the ones I've bought had absolutely feeble coverage and have always come out patchy. Citadel though, which has a much thicker consistency and more pigment, provides a very nice colour.

Oh yeah, there are some less interesting, lower-class hoplites too.

With much relief I've finished up the Brettonians I've had lingering almost-finished for several years. Lovely Perry sculpts as I mentioned in a previous post. I really like the Perrys, they do characterful, detailed models but they are simple and lack extraneous equipment and pouches which are fiddly and drive one round the bed. I do not like the modern, super-detailed style for this reason. It certainly displays great sculpting skill (either by hand or computer) and can be an excellent canvas for a painter, it's just not for me.

Finally got the Bretonnian bowmen painted. There are only two sculpts, but golly they do look good en masse.


A side view of the bowmen. Their placement on the bases means the ranks have to be placed skewed in order to fit properly.
BattleTech wise, I think I might have burned myself out again. I am very much a magpie, eager to collect every single 'Mech that catches my eye, but the buying of models is so much easier than the painting!

I think I've reached my 'Mech limit.

The new Stinger is going to be a counterpart to the Sabre Locust, with colours taken from the MiG-15, which famously faced off with the Sabre during the Korean war. I'm not sure if what I have is in any way official, but there's a rather nice example on google images in polished metal with red trim. I tried adding the word 'Robot' (робот) in Cyrillic to the leg, but it really didn't come out well, so I'll paint over it and write it on the Goliath instead.

The lettering on the Stinger (right) is, actually, much more difficult to see in reality.
The Griffin and Wolverine are being done in more Medieval/chivalric schemes. The Griffin is based on the arms of Sir William Marshall (and I will attempt a lion rampant in the chest too!) and the Wolverine will be in red with some sort of heraldic pattern in white, plus Japanese text.

Something new from the pile, two old Saurus Warriors form GW. One (left) with a poorly sculpted replacement head, one (right) with a wire spear.

Finally there's the Lizardman repaint I'm doing. I've thought about subbing them into my allied contingent for Kings of War, but they might look rather out of place compared to all the furries (well, satyr-type beastfolk). Will keep you posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment